Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Found Me a Book...


I went to my local Books A Million store today to check out their books about BBQ. Several books caught my eye but the one that garnered the most attention was written by Ray Lampe (A.K.A. Dr. BBQ). It is entitled, “Dr. BBQ’s Big Time BBQ Cookbook”. I am such a fan of the good doctor that I just had to sit down and consume the books contents.

For some time now I have been looking for a certain type of book regarding BBQ. My ideal BBQ book covers mostly techniques and tips, stories from the various competition BBQ trails and even reviews from some of the best BBQ joints in the country. So far I have not found what I am looking for. Go into any bookstore and checkout the books about Q. Most all of them have 1 or 2 chapters about techniques and tips and the other 9-10 chapters are nothing but recipes. If you check as many as I do you will soon realize that most of the recipes are the same, from the same people.

But Dr. BBQ’s book was different and it didn’t take me long to realize that. In fact, he covered it on the first page. What he does with this book is simply a work of genius. Or is it just simple? Instead of going into detail about techniques and tips (like I thought I wanted), Lampe used the first pages of the book to cover an ongoing debate over “traditional BBQ”. Good stuff here! He uses the remaining chapters to weave the techniques and tips that I had longed for around the great sounding (and smelling – yes I could smell the ribs and brisket there in the bookstore) recipes of pork, beef and everything you could think of.

Go to the bookstore and buy this book. When you do check out my favorite recipes that I have listed here. Then, find some and make them your favorites.
*Dr. BBQ’s Championship Ribs
*Backyard Championship Ribs
*Fast Freddy’s World Championship Ribs
*Not sure of the name on this one but it covers smoking a brisket in about 6 hours versus 12-15 hours
*Big Time BBQ Rub
*Thick and Sticky BBQ Sauce

I still think there is a book out there that covers what I am looking for. But until I find it, I’ll enjoy this one.


1 Comments:

At 6:14 AM PDT, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Hi-- great blog. I really like Dr. BBQ's book, too-- most of the recipes you mentioned are real good-- especially liked the sauce recipe-- quick and easy.

Keep the coals glowing.

Matt in NYC

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster