Friday, June 24, 2005

Now I'm smokin'

Things are starting to get back to normal around here. After taking care of my father for a few days I finally got to fire up “Ole Smokey” and do some low and slow this past weekend. None of the places where I buy my meat for BBQing have had anything that looked good here of late. The baby-backs have been less than attractive. At over $5 a pound I have to be choosey. I knew I would not have enough time to do a brisket or butt. I did find a good deal on whole chickens and decided I would do the, now famous, Beer Can (or Butt) Chicken.

I picked out my bird and found a recipe that I liked and got started. I did not follow the recipe to the letter. I wanted to experiment and try to stumble onto something better than good. My base recipe was taken from Rick Browne’s Original Beer-Butt Chicken. You can find this basic recipe and many others on Rick’s website at http://www.barbecueamerica.com/. The one part of this recipe that I followed verbatim was Rick’s Basting Sauce. This combination of apple juice, olive oil, warm beer, hot sauce and balsamic vinegar did the trick. Put that concoction in a spray bottle and make you bird happy. After cleaning the bird and getting the smoker ready it was now time to cook. The smoker was cruising at 225-235°F and the smoke from the combination hickory and apple chunks was just right. On went the chicken.

To make a long story short, in about 2 hours I had produced one of the most delectable chickens I have ever eaten. The moisture content was just right. The skin had that dark brown smoke look and I could not restrain myself any longer. I did have to pull the chicken off the smoker a little low on temp due to a thunderstorm that snuck up on me. But I wrapped it in foil and stuck it in the oven. You would never know the difference.

I will be tweaking this one for some time. You know me; I am never completely satisfied. I hope to have some pics up soon.

Later.

1 Comments:

At 2:46 AM PDT, Anonymous Barbecue Grill Maestro said...

I'm working my way through every piece of bbq equipment I can to get the best way to cook outdoors for my BBQ & grill website - turns out smoking has to be the best way to BBQ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster