Saturday, July 16, 2005

Rain, Rain go away!!

Here we are at the end of another week. I was looking forward to smelling some smoke this past week but the weather kept me from fulfilling my desires. I live in Alabama and we had a visitor last week (cousin Dennis blew through). We are still getting some rain from this storm almost a week later. Maybe things will dry out this coming week.

Anyway, I thought Tuesday would be my best shot at getting in some “Q-time”. My wife had bought a family pack of chicken thighs and I figured I would give them a run. I marinated them in Italian dressing overnight Monday. While my chimney of charcoal was heating up (got a new Weber chimney Monday – better than anything else I have seen) I rinsed off the thighs and applied a generous amount of Dr. BBQ’s Big Time Rub. I had tried it on ribs and fell in love with it. Dr. BBQ said it was good on any kind of meat so I thought I would use it on the chicken. And what Dr. BBQ says, I does! After putting the rub on the thighs, I went outside and put the lit chimney of coals in the SFB. I then went back inside to get the rest of the stuff ready while the smoker heated up. Then it happened!

I heard a loud clap of thunder off in the distance. I ran outside to see a very strong thunderstorm headed right for me. I have not had much practice cooking in the rain so I thought for a minute I might try it. I moved my picnic table with its umbrella near Ole Smokey to try to keep as much rain off of her as possible. I looked and she was purring nicely at 200° and almost ready to go to work. Then the rain started. The umbrella would not hold off all the tropical rain still left from Dennis and in about 5 minutes the temp went down to about 150°. I closed off all the vents to put the fire out with plans of firing her back up again after the rain blew over. But that was the problem. The rain did not blow over.

Here I am with 10-12 thawed chicken thighs covered with rub and nothing to smoke them on. So I did the next best thing. I preheated the oven to 350° and just put them in there. They came out wonderful. Probably the only thing I would have changed would be to lighten up on the rub just a touch. Although the chicken was great, the chili powder in the rub was a little overpowering given the amount I used. Note to self!

No pics this time. We are going to cook out at work next Thursday. I hope to have a post and pics from this next weekend. Until then, smoke ‘em if you got ‘em.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster