Thursday, August 04, 2005

Pneumonia and Chicken

Strange title, ain’t it? Let me explain. Back on 07/23/05 I posted about our cookout at work. Well, I wasn’t feeling too good that day but I attributed it to the heat (heat index over 100) and pressure of cooking for the guys for the first time. Not too long after I got home I started coughing and running a fever. To make a long story short, I went to the doctor and learned that I had pneumonia. In fact, everyone in my house is sick. My wife also has pneumonia and my two sons are getting over bronchitis. Needless to say, “Ole Smokey” has not been uncovered for a while.

Feeling much better after taking well over $100 in medication, I decided I would try to do something because the withdrawals were getting the best of me. I decided on doing something simple so I cooked a couple of BCC’s last night. This time I felt like experimenting. Here is what I did. I made up two different batches of rubs and decided to cook them, head-to-head, and see which one I liked better. Now, my wife does not like anything too hot so I tried to find something that we both would eat. I decided to make up a batch of Mike Mills' “Magic Dust” (this has chili powder and cayenne) for me. You can find this recipe and others in Mikes book, “Peace, Love and Barbecue”. For my wife’s chicken, I decided on River City Rub’s basic chicken rub. I found their recipe in “Big Daddy’s Zubba Bubba BBQ” book. Both rubs are very simple but different.

I smoked the chickens at 325-350°F for a little over an hour. Used soaked hickory chunks and Kingsford. I sprayed them every few minutes with straight apple juice. Both came out with crisp skins and amazing color. As I thought, the chicken with the Magic Dust was a little warmer that the one with the River City Rub. I could not pick a favorite. They both tasted wonderful. I guess it is back to the drawing board. Anyway, it was good to smell the smoke and get back into the swing of things.

Next up – pulled pork.

Why?

I just gotta do it!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster