Thursday, September 15, 2005

Help with chicken


O.K. all you experienced WSM'ers out there, help a brother out. What did I do wrong? I smoked some chicken quarters earlier this week. I brined them overnight then dried them out in the fridge before putting on the cooker. I was very pleased with the overall taste and flavor of the chicken. My problem was with the appearance. Not sure what went wrong.

Here is what I did:
* started with 1 lit chimney poured over 1 unlit with hickory chunks.
* placed skin side up in center of top grate for +/- 1.5 hours. Grate temp never got above 300.
* at 45 minutes, the skin had a nice color but was starting to separate from the meat. Pic #1
* at 1.5 hours, the chicken was up to temp but the skin had almost rolled off the top. Pic #2

As I said, other than the appearance, the chicken was wonderful. It had a great smokey taste without being overpowering. Excellent color and texture once you got past the skin. I also mixed up some 5:1 KC Masterpiece/Honey and used it as a dipping sauce. MIGHTY TASTEY!!

Send me your ideas on what I should do to help the appearance of my chicken. Post a comment or send me an email.

Smoke 'em if you got em.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


2 Comments:

At 7:29 PM PST, Blogger The BBQ Guy said...

I don't know what other suggestions you've received on this post about chicken, but I have some thoughts that might help.

How many hours did you brine the chicken?

I've found that 1 1/2 to 2 hours is about right for chicken thighs that we cook.

Did you use a rub on the chicken skin that had a lot of sugar?

Did you use any kind of sauce on the chicken while cooking?

These are just some of the variables I thought of that might have cause the skin to turn so dark.

The good thing about bbq....we get to eat the mistakes!

 
At 4:32 PM PST, Blogger Ole Smokey said...

You got mail.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster