Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Saturday @ The Jack - Recap


I got an early start Saturday morning. Got up a little after five and by the time I got a shower and a cup of java it was almost 6 and time to leave. This is really my favorite time of the year. The colors are starting to change and there is that certain “nip” in the morning air that says fall is coming. Add to that the scenery of the rolling Tennessee hillside and the smoke from 65 or so cooking sites and I am in heaven. This is where I am supposed to be.

I have tried to do a couple of Audio Blogs from Lynchburg but I guess the signal was not strong enough. When I listened to it the sound quality was not very good. I had a backup plan but that fell through also. Oh well, there’ll be other times.

Today was not supposed to be as hectic as yesterday. Most everything had already been done. All we needed to do was be there at the busy times of the day. The rest of the day we had to ourselves. This allowed me to mingle about and really soak up the sounds, smells and traditions of the Jack. And that I did. After checking in with “The Gang” I decided it was time to walk.

While walking around I located Dr. BBQ doing some cooking at The Big Green Egg tent. A few months ago I did a review of his cookbook on this site. Catching Ray at a slow moment worked to my favor. I was able to speak with him and get him to sign my copy of his latest book “Dr. BBQ’s Big Time Barbecue Cookbook”. Ray was super. I had only spoken with him via email prior to meeting him but he was very cordial and open to conversation. Here is a pic of Dr. BBQ doing his thang!

I then made my way around several of the cook sites to try to glean a thing or two from the masters. I was able to see Myron Mixon from Jack’s Old South putting the finishing touch on his ribs before turn in time. Congratulations to Myron and the gang for winning first place and $1000 in the whole hog category. After the last turn in, Myron displayed his hog and offered samples to the folks that passed by. Needless to say I parked it there for a while and ate some wonderful whole hog.

Then I wondered over to buttrub.com’s site and was amazed at how much time and effort they put into their spot. Also, congratulations to Byron and the gang for winning the “Happiest Home in the Hollar” award this year on the US side. Other cook sites that caught my eye were Squeal of Approval and Whoop-de-Que from right here in Alabama.

Then it was time for me to make my way to town and check out things there. Music rang from just about every direction. Here is one of the groups performing for the folks in attendance. I also noticed that the Lynchburg Fire Department had their “Jack Daniels Fire Brigade” truck on display and just had to get a picture. I then made my way back to the pavilion for the awards ceremony. Congratulation to all the teams who got their name called.

I wondered around enjoying this wonderful atmosphere the rest of the day. I have not been to many of the cookoffs on the BBQ trail but I can say this one thing. Lynchburg and BBQ were made for each other.

1 Comments:

At 9:59 AM PDT, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Great stuff, Steve. I can really get a sense of what a good competition that really is-- aside from the great teams that are there. Glad you had such a good time. In the future, you're gonna need to bring someone else to do the reporting-- I have a feeling you'll get an invitation once you start competing on a regular basis....

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster