Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Butts O' Plenty



Well, I finally got around to cooking some of the pork butts that have been in my freezer for a few weeks. I was going to do them last week but the weather prevented me from firing up the smoker. This time I wanted to try a little experiment. I am trying to nail down a game plan for my competition pork for next season. After all, that is why God created winter, right? So we could all practice for next season?

Both butts had a pre trimmed weight of 11.46 pounds. After opening the cryo I noticed that these butts did not have a lot of fat on them to trim off. After trimming I would estimate the total weight to be right at 10 pounds or so. Here was my plans for these nice hunks of meat.

Butt #1 -


Marinated overnight in Jack's Old South Meat Marinade. I found this recipe on the Virtual Weber Bullet Site. After marinating, I would rub the butt with Jack's Old South BBQ Rub (also found on TVWB).

Butt #2
-



No marinade for this one. I just rubbed it with a mixture of salt, garlic powder, black pepper and Bobbie McWright's BBQ Seasoning and Rub.

The wood of choice for this smoke was apple and I used Kingsford Charcoal for heat. Here are the results with pictures.

Butt #1 -




The marinating did not do that much for me on this one. The meat did not taste like what I think bbq pork should taste. The flavor was good but not what I was expecting. The bark, however, was superior to any I have created. I might just stick to this rub for the bark. I want to see if I can duplicate it. The smoke ring was beautiful (almost 1/2" on estimate). I think the marinade might have helped with the smoke ring but I was not totally satisfied with the taste. This is very good table bbq but I would not put it in a turn-in box. Next time injecting might be the route to take.

Butt #2 -




Definitely the best tasting one of the two. It was probably the best tasting so far. I put the spices on, in order, as taught by Lee in MCPP cooking class. Lee teaches that this is the stage where you are trying to create a barrier for the meat in order to get a moist product. We want the spices to dissolve into the meat, so we layer them to achieve this starting with the most water soluble ingredient - salt. Followed by the granulated garlic, black pepper and their rub.) I used a tad too much pepper this go around. Will be more careful next time. The bark was nowhere near as attractive as #1.

Final observations - if I can replicate the taste of butt #2, coupled with the bark of butt #1 - then I will be on to something. I have two more in the freezer. I think I will use the Jack's Old South Rub on one and inject it. On the other I will just use the rub.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com


2 Comments:

At 10:20 AM PST, Anonymous The Survival Gourmet said...

You got some good looking butts there. I have a question though. Why marinate? I thought there wasn't time to marinate at a competition. Except for maybe chicken.

I have never competed so I really don't know. Just asking because I plan to start competing this year.

Nice site you got here! I will definitely add you to my blogroll.

 
At 1:37 PM PST, Blogger Ole Smokey said...

I recently attended a competition bbq cooking class and we marindated some of the butts for the class. The one I did here was for an experiment only. I would most likely not marinate at a comp. I too will start competing this year so I know I have a lot to learn. Best to experiment at home that onsite. Thanks for the comment. Talk to you soon.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster