Friday, January 20, 2006

My New Competition Rig


When my friend, Taztamer, sent me this pic today I just knew I had to share it here. It got me to thinking about all the work I still have to do to get ready for my first KCBS BBQ competition. My buddy Kudzu and I will be cooking at the Mitchell Company BBQ Championship in Mobile, AL on March 10-11. With over $20,000 in prize money up for grabs, I call this my “Baptism by Fire”! After all, I did tell someone that this is what I wanted to do. Me and my big mouth.

I am so looking forward to going to Mobile and competing but all the prep and practice is destroying my nerves. Every one I know that has competed in the BBQ circuit tells me to just relax because having fun is the main thing. Well, I understand the wisdom in their advice. However, I am a competitor and am very hard on myself when I don’t perform as well as I think I should.

Forget about the fact that I have been battling some health issues this month and have not had the strength or craving to do any practice smoking. Then, there is the matter of making sure I have everything I need for the contest. I do not have to bring the meat but I will need my WSM and all the gadgets and support staff that goes along with her. I will need to remember to bring enough wood chunks, charcoal, chimney starters, rub, sauce, cutting boards, etc. Oh, yeah – I will be up all night so I need warm clothing and a sleeping bag and a cot.

I was just about to stress out when Kudzu sent me an email. His words of wisdom calmed my soul. He said, “There's a store down the road, there's a store down the road, there's a store down the road, if I forget to bring anything to the contest, there's a store down the road.” I’ll bring everything I can. I’ll probably forget some things but there is a store down the road. I’ll have fun. Lots of fun. Cook the best pork and brisket I can and just have fun.

So, if you’re traveling south on I-65 from Birmingham to Mobile on the morning of March 10th and see a black GMC pick-up loaded down like this picture, honk and wave at Ole Smokey. I’ll be headed to Mobile to HAVE FUN!!!



Image hosting by Photobucket


3 Comments:

At 12:38 PM PST, Anonymous Curt M said...

At least people will be able to pick you out at a competition!

 
At 10:56 AM PST, Blogger Taztamer said...

Relax, you are a very good at BBQ so relax. So what if you forget something or don;t do as good as you thank you should have done, you are there and you are getting your first chanch at doing one of the things you love to do most. RELAX and have FUN. I know you will be great.

 
At 10:56 AM PST, Blogger Taztamer said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster