Friday, March 03, 2006

Getting Ready to Go


I saw this picture posted on the BBQ Forum website and had to post it here as well. It is lovingly referred to as the "Double Bypass Burger" and rightfully so. It is sold at a place called The Heart Attack Grill in Tempe, AZ.

Now, let's talk some bbq. It is hard to believe that next weekend (March 10-11) I will be competing in my first KCBS cook off. My buddy, Kudzu, and I will be teamed up at the 2006 Mitchell Company BBQ Championship and Hog Wild Festival in Mobile, AL. Most contests have around 40-50 teams competing. I found out yesterday that Mobile has 80 teams with 10 on a standby list. That will be several more teams than anyone imagined.

Thursday, I started getting things together. I even practice packed the truck to make sure the stuff will fit. I will be taking my WSM and everything else I can fit in the truck. I think Kudzu will be bringing most of the things we need but some things you just cannot leave home without. I will be making my rubs and sauces ahead of time to make things a little easier at the cook site. I have a checklist already made out so maybe I won’t forget anything.

I am so excited about this first competition that I cannot stand it. I did not get to do as many practice cooks as I wanted but I feel pretty confident none the less. I look forward to the challenge of competing against some of the biggest and best BBQers around. Win or loose, it is going to be an experience that I will remember for a lifetime. It’s gonna be a blast.

I will get some pics and fill you in on all the happenings when I get back. If you live in the south and have nothing to do this next weekend, come down to Mobile. We’ll keep the party going till you get there.

Later,


Image hosting by Photobucket




2 Comments:

At 12:49 PM PST, Blogger Backyard Chef said...

Good luck, Steve! I haven't made the plunge yet, so I salute your bravery and enthusiasm.

Go on and kick some ash!

--Matt

 
At 5:58 PM PST, Anonymous The Survival Gourmet said...

Here in Cali, we just call that a Double King Burger with Bacon and cheese. Sold in Fat Burger restaurants all over California.

Good luck on your first contest! I'm busting my cherry at BBQ'n at the Autry on April 7-8.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster