Saturday, March 25, 2006

TV CREWS EVERYWHERE - THE UPSIDE


There was no shortage of media coverage for the Mobile contest this year. This was my first year to attend so I do not have anything to compare it to but it seemed you could not turn around without hitting a cameraman or soundperson. I counted two local affiliates, NBC15 and FOX10. Also, Food Network had a crew there getting footage for an upcoming bbq release this summer. Should be good. However, I have mixed emotions regarding media coverage at bbq events.

I feel there is not enough coverage of competition bbq on the TV as it is. In fact, it was Food Network’s coverage of the American Royal several years ago that wet my appetite for competition bbq in the first place. I wish all the events could be covered and broadcast on every cable and satellite system in the world. The local Mobile media spent hours at the fairgrounds getting interviews and B-roll footage of the cooking process, turn-ins and the like. They did not just show up, get about 2-3 minutes of footage and go to lunch. They really covered it thoroughly. And who can say that Food Network’s devotion to competition bbq has not been good for the sport? It has made the likes of Chris Lilly, Byron Chism, Myron Mixon and others household names to people who might not otherwise know them. Entire series’ devoted to barbecue such as Chris Lilly’s program on OLN has really opened the door to barbecue on TV. As far as I am concerned, the more bbq on TV the better.

Competition bbq is enjoying its moment in the spotlight. I say we milk it for all it is worth. How many more folks will be lured into this wonderful life only because they "saw it on TV".

In the next post I will cover, in my opinion, the bad side of media coverage at competitions. Until then, go smoke something.

Ole Smokey

P.S. I am also in the process of putting together my newest blog, Final Table Poker. It will be up and running soon. My passion for this game has quickly caught up with bbq. I see a good marriage between the two in the years to come.

Image hosting by Photobucket


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster