Wednesday, April 19, 2006

COOTER WINGS!


I did not get a chance to fire up the smoker this weekend (too busy with life, you know how it is) but I did get a chance to make up a batch of wings on Monday night. I also got to do a little experimenting with a new rub. A co-worker of mine went to Gatlinburg a couple of weekends ago and went to this spice shop called The Pepper Palace. When he saw the bottle of Cooter Rubb on the shelf he knew he had to get me some. I had read about CR but had not actually used it. Their website says that it adds spicy zest to wings, meats and cooter (soft-shelled turtle). What other kind is there?

So I make up my normal batch of wings on Monday and decided that this would be a good time to break out the Cooter Rubb. Right out of the bottle, this stuff gets your attention. The mix of garlic, onion, basil, sage, SMOKED JALAPENOS and additional peppers really puts your taste buds on alert. There is also an unexpected heat factor that I really like. I do not like rubs or sauces that take you head off the moment they touch your tongue. I like to savor the flavors and then have the heat slowly intensify. To me, that is the perfect combination.

Anyway, when the Cooter Wings came out of the fryer I could not wait to crunch one of them. The wings were awesome and just the right amount of spice. The only thing I will do different next time is that I will not pre-bread the wings before adding the rub. I think this caused an uneven covering of the rub. The rub also burned some in the fryer but I’m not complaining. Now I want to make up a whole batch of Cooter Wings on the WSM. Might even be good on those chicken thighs and quarters I need to practice with for competitions.

Oh well, gotta go back to work today. Talk to you again soon.



Image hosting by Photobucket


1 Comments:

At 3:37 PM PDT, Blogger Terry said...

You need to try my Grilled Hot Wing recipe.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Your Gateway to Barbecue Information
A service of
netRelief, Inc.

This site is a member of The Smoke Ring
A linked list of BBQ websites

Next - Skip Next - Next 5 - Prev - Skip Prev - Random Site

Join the ring or browse a complete list of The Smoke Ring members

If you discover problems with any of The Smoke Ring sites,
please notify the Ringmaster